Upgrading VM to hardare version 10 with vSphere webclient March 10, 2014Posted by vbry21 in VMware blogs, vSphere 5.5.
Tags: VMware, vSphere 5.5
Today we’ve been looking at the web client in VMware vSphere 5.5.
One of the labs today was creating a VM in the traditional VMware vSphere client, the issue with this way of creating a VM, is that the vSphere client will only allow us to create the VM up to hardware version 8, but vSphere 5.5 supports up to Hardware version 10.
We now have a VM that is hardware version 8, in order to upgrade to hardware version 10, we use the vSphere 5.5 web client.
The process is as follows.
- Power down the VM to be upgraded.
- Right click the VM and click Edit Settings
- Click the arrow next to Upgrade to expand the upgrade properties.
- Select Schedule VM Compatibility Upgrade
- Ensure that compatible reads ESXi 5.5 and later
- Click OK
- Power on VM.
Also note that the above can be scheduled to upgrade during VM Power cycle if you don’t want to power down the VM at this point.
I’ve also produced a little demo video on my Youtube channel