Enabling the vMA root user account November 20, 2012Posted by vbry21 in VCAP5-DCA.
I was asked a question recently relating to the root account in the VMware vSphere Management Assistant Virtual Appliance. The question was why can’t I login as root?
By default the root user account is disabled, but what you may want to do for troubleshooting purposes is to enable the root account (I would only do this in conjunction with VMware Global Support Services).
To enable the root account in vMA:
- Log in to vMA as the vi-admin user.
- Run this command to open the passwd file:
sudo vi /etc/passwd
- Locate the line that appears similar to:
- Modify the line it to:
- Log out from vMA and log in again as the vi-admin user.
- Run this command and enter the new root password:
sudo passwd root
- You should now be able to log in to vMA using the root account.